The middle child in Gemini’s GVX family, the GVX-12P is a powered, pro PA speaker that aims to satisfy installation and portable buyers alike. Building on a reputation for developing fine hardware at surprisingly accessible prices, Gemini has tipped a bundle of smart features into the illusively slight GVX-12P’s trim black body.
As the name suggests, the unit is built around a 12” woofer (with 8ohm impedance and a 2” voice coil). Kicking in at 60Hz, it might seem that it’s missing a little of the bottom end, but the frequency response above that is gratifyingly clean and predictable. The low frequency amp will output 250W RMS; the high frequency amp 50W, and max SPL is a healthy 127dB.
The GVX-12P features a 1.8kHz 24dB per octave crossover, and the horn can be rotated to change the dispersal pattern from 80° x 60° to 60° x 80° depending whether you want to mount it vertically or horizontally. Mounting options are good, too: it comes with options for a 35mm pole mount and 8mm flying points – or you can always just use it as a wedge.
You’ll get a built-in limiter circuit, a built-in 100Hz low-pass filter for monitoring, input for either balanced or unbalanced XLR, and XLR pass-through, allowing for chains of speakers if you need more power (and who doesn’t, really?). And while we’re talking power, it’s worth mentioning the safety features Gemini have included: thermal, short-circuit and DC amp protection is all crammed into the cabinet. One less thing. Three less things, actually.
The case itself is a rugged ¾” MDF that’s (relatively) light to carry, but promises to hold up to a thumping on the road – although the black acrylic lacquer finish might not wear it as well. Handles are recessed and sit flush with the cabinet, and the grille is a perforated steel mesh. The whole effect is one of modern elegance; you’re looking at a speaker that’s clean and unobtrusive without sacrificing real power under the hood.
Full specs are:
- Power Amplifier: (250W+50W) RMS / (500W+100W) Peak
- Type: 2-way bi-amplified
- Frequency range: 60Hz – 20kHz
- Maximum Sound Pressure Level: 127dB
- Woofer Impedance: 8 ohms
- Woofer size: 12”
- Woofer Magnet: 50 oz
- Low frequency driver: 2” (50mm) Voice Coil
- High Output driver type: Titanium
- High Frequency driver: 1.35”
- Horn Dispersion: 80° x 60°
- Connectors: Balanced XLR LINE input with pass-thru XLR
- Electronic crossover frequency: 1.8 Khz
- Enclosure: 18 mm (3/4”), MDF
- Finish: Black acrylic lacquer
- Grille: Perforated steel mesh grille
- Handles: Recessed flush handles
- Pole mount: diameter 35 mm
- Weight: 66.2 lbs
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 13.8” x 24.2” x 14.2”